Veryan, a parish in Cornwall, on the coast, 3½ miles S of Tregony, and 8½ S of Grampound Road station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Grampound Road; money order and telegraph office, Ruan High Lanes. Acreage, 5716; population, 1259. The manor was known at Domesday as Elerkie, and belonged then to the Earl of Mortaigne; it is now the property of the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. Veryan Bay is a semi-circular indentation between Nare Head and Dodman Point, measures about 5 miles along the chord, and is engirt with cliffs, exhibiting a fine section of Silurian rocks, in association with traps and conglomerates. Veryan Beacon measures 372 feet in circuit and 370 in height, commands a good view, is traditionally regarded as the burial-place of Gerennins, a king of Cornwall in the 6th century, was opened in 1855, and was then found to contain a kistvaen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £299 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Truro. The church was rebuilt in 1848, and is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Veryan St. Sympholiana|
|Poor Law union||Truro|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at St Veryan 1676-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1683.
Church of England
St. Symphorian (parish church)
The church of St. Symphorian is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style consisting of chancel, with aisles of two bays, nave of six bays, north aisle, south transept, south and west porches and a tower on the south side of the transept, with four pinnacles and containing a clock and 6 bells, the first two cast in 1748 and the tenor in 1772: some well-carved remains of a screen are preserved in the vestry: there are a large number of monuments of modern date: the church was restored in 1847-50, and has 400 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Veryan from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Veryan (St. Sympholiana))
Online maps of Veryan are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.