Tywardreath, Cornwall

Historical Description

Tywardreath, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands on a bay of its own name near Par station on the G.W.R., 5 miles E by N of St Austell. It has a post and money order office under Par station; telegraph office, Par. Acreage of the civil parish, 3365; population, 2097; of the ecclesiastical, 1452. The parish includes part of Par chapelry. Menabilly House is the seat of the Rashleigh family. There are a town-hall, a county police station, a reading-room, and a working men's institute. In this parish are the old Fowey Consols tin and copper mines. A cattle fair is held on 10 June, and the parish feasts on St Andrew's Day. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Angiers Abbey in France, was founded here in 1169 by W. de Cardinham.and was given to the Seymours. A three-ditched camp is at Castle Dore. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage, with Tregaminion, in the diocese of Truro; net value, £255 with residence. The church was almost entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1880. There are a chapel of ease, three Methodist chapels, and almshouses.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Tywardreth St. Andrew
Hundred Powder
Poor Law union St. Austell

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tywardreath from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Tywardreath are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL24
Post TownPar