Torpoint, a village and a chapelry in Antony parish, Cornwall. The village stands on a peninsula of the Hamoaze, opposite Devonport, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Devonport, a good inn, and a floating steam bridge across the Hamoaze. There are many fine residences. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 2425. The church was erected in 1819, and is a plain stone building in the Early English style; it was enlarged in 1885. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Antony. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Bible Christian chapels, and a working-men's institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Germans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Torpoint from the following:
Online maps of Torpoint are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.