Stoke Climsland, Cornwall
Stoke Climsland, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands 3 miles N of Callington, and 7½ from Launceston station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Callington; money order and telegraph office, Callington. Acreage of parish, 8856; population, 1865. There is a parish council of eleven members. The manor belonged formerly to Tavistock and Launceston abbeys, and belongs now to the Duchy of Cornwall. Whiteford House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; gross value, £900 with residence. Patron, the Prince of Wales. The East Cornwall Minerals railway has three stations in this parish, viz., Monks Comer, Downgate, and Kelly Bray. A cattle fair is held on the 29th of May.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Launceston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke Climsland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stoke-Climsland)
Online maps of Stoke Climsland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.