St Wenn, Cornwall
Wenn, St, a parish in Cornwall, 5 miles from St Columb Road station on the G.W.R. Post town, Bodmin; money order and telegraph office, St Columb. Acreage, 4695; population, 423. It was known at Domesday as San Wena, and has two annual fairs. Tregotha, now a farmhouse, was the birthplace of Archbishop Tregury of the 15th century. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; gross value, £200 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1825, and is a building of granite in the Early English style, with a massive embattled tower. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels. Some remains of an ancient chapel exist, and there is a well still called " Chapel Well," remarkable for its pure water.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Columb Major|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Wenn from the following:
Online maps of St Wenn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.