St Veep, Cornwall

Historical Description

Veep, St, a parish in Cornwall, 4 miles SE of Lostwithiel station on the G.W.R. Post town, Lostwithiel. Acreage, 3111; population, 499. St Cadoc is the seat of the Wymonds. St Cyric's Priory, a cell to Montacute Abbey, was founded in the parish by the Earl of Mortaigne, was the place where the monk W. de Exeter wrote the " Life of Guy, Earl of Warwick," and has left some remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £113. The church is an ancient edifice of stone with an embattled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Lerryn.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish St. Veep St. Cyricius
Hundred West
Poor Law union Liskeard

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for St Veep from the following:


Maps

Online maps of St Veep are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL22
Post TownLostwithiel