St Stephen by Saltash, Cornwall
Stephens-by-Saltash, St, a parish in Cornwall, on the Lynher and Tamar, and around Saltash town and station on the G.W R. Post town, Saltash. Acreage, 5639; population, 1549. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. In 1890 500 acres were cut off this parish and transferred to the parish of Pillarton. Trematon Castle belongs to the Duke of Cornwall, and Ince Castle, now a farmhouse, was a seat of the Earl of Devon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £310 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is a fine old building of stone in the Perpendicular style, contains a number of memorials, and has been well restored. The perpetual curacy of Saltash is a separate benefice.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Germans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Stephen by Saltash from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stephens, St.)
Online maps of St Stephen by Saltash are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.