St Stephen by Launceston, Cornwall
Stephen's, St, a parish in Cornwall, adjoining Launceston town and station on the G.W.R. It was known at Domesday as Lanson, and includes the disfranchised borough of Newport. Post town, Launceston. Acreage, 3949; population, 1107. The parish is partly in the borough of Launceston; the rural portion has a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £190. The present church stands on a hill, has a good tower, and has been well restored. There is a wooden Roman Catholic church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Launceston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at St Stephen's by Launceston 1566-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Stephen by Launceston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stephens, St.)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.