St Sampson, Cornwall

Historical Description

Sampson, St, or Golant, a parish in Cornwall, on the river Fowey, and 3½ miles from Par station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under St Austell; money order and telegraph office, Par station. Acreage, 1483; population, 261. A castle of the Earls of Salisbury stood at Castle Dore. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Tmro; net value, £68 with residence. The church is old and interesting. A holy well is close to the porch. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Pen-quite and Torfrey are handsome residences in the parish.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Hundred Powder
Poor Law union St. Austell

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for St Sampson from the following:


Maps

Online maps of St Sampson are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.