St Michael Penkevil, Cornwall
Michael Penkevil, St, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands 1 mile from Malpas Ferry on St Clement's Creek, and 5 miles SE of Truro station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Probus; money order and telegraph office, Truro. The parish comprises 1213 acres; population, 142. The manor belonged to the Penkevils; passed to the Courtenays, the Carminows, and the Boscawens; and belongs now to Viscount Falmouth. Tregothan is a magnificent seat belonging to Viscount Falmonth. The rocks are slaty, and have traces of copper. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £150 with residence. Patron, Viscount Falmouth. The church was originally a fine structure of the 13th and the 14th centuries; was partly restored, partly rebuilt in 1862-66; has a buttressed tower, including a curious oratory with a stone altar; and contains a metal tablet of 1515 to the Rev John Trembrass, and a monument by Rysbrach to Admiral Boscawen.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Truro|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Michael Penkevil from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Michael, St., Penkevil)
Online maps of St Michael Penkevil are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.