St Michael Carhayes, Cornwall
Michael Carhayes, St, a parish in Cornwall, on Veryan Bay, 3 miles SE by E of Tregony, and 8 S by E of Grampound Road station on the G.W.R. Post town, St Austell. Acreage, 861; population, 143. The mansion of the Trevanions once stood here, and a castellated Gothic building, by the architect of Buckingham Palace, now occupies its site, and has in the wall of its entrance gallery a stone sculptured with the royal arms, supposed to be of the time of one of the Edwards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £110 with residence. The church has a castellated tower, contains old helmets, swords, and gauntlets of the Trevanion family, including a sword wielded by Sir Hugh Trevanion at Bosworth Field, and was restored in 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||St. Michael St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||St. Austell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Michael Carhayes from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Michael, St., Caerhays (St. Michael))
Online maps of St Michael Carhayes are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.