St Merryn, Cornwall

Historical Description

Merryn, St, a parish in Cornwall, on the coast, 2 miles WSW of Padstow, and 8 from Wadebridge station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Padstow; money order and telegraph office, Padstow. Acreage, 3946; population, 489. Harlyn, formerly the seat of the Peter family, commands a splendid sea view. The surface is exceedingly diversified, and the coast is lined by high rugged cliffs. The rocks are crystalline and schistose, and include veins of lead and antimony. Roofing slate is quarried, and a dark-coloured trap almost equal to marble is worked. A small quay, constructed in 1794, is under Catacluse Cliff. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £240 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church is ancient and pretty good, was partly rebuilt of Catacluse stone, and contains a curiously carved trap-rock font. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A church formerly stood near Harlyn, and has left some remains. A lighthouse stands on Trevose Head in this parish.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Hundred Pyder
Poor Law union St. Columb Major

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for St Merryn from the following:


Maps

Online maps of St Merryn are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL28
Post TownPadstow