St Martin in Meneage, Cornwall
Martin-in-Meneage, St, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands on the river Hel, 7 miles SE by E of Helston station on the G.W.R., and 9 S by W of Penrhyn. It has a post office under Helston; money order office, St Keverne; telegraph office, Helston. Acreage of the civil parish, 2371; population, 336; of the ecclesiastical, 1088. Tre-mayne was the seat of the Tremayne family and the residence of Capt. Wallis the circumnavigator. Trelowan'en is a chief residence. The rocks include limestone and serpentine. An ancient camp, occupying 14 acres, andsurrounded by a very deep fosse, is at Gear, and another ancient camp is at Carvallack. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Mawgan, in the diocese of Truro; value, £500 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1830, but retains the tower of the previous edifice. There are Methodist and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Helston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Martin in Meneage from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Martin, St., in Meneage)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.