St Martin, Cornwall

Historical Description

Martin, St, one of the Scilly Islands, in Cornwall, 3 miles N of St Mary's. Acreage, 650; population, 174. On the N of it is St Martin's Bay, connected by land at low-water with White Island which has a deep cavern or old tin mine; on the E is St Martin's Head, 160 feet high, crowned by the Day Mark, and commanding a very striking view among the islands; on the SE are the Higher Town and Cruther's Hill, about 70 feet high; on the S and the W are St Martin's Flats, famous for shells; on the W is Tinder's Point, surmounted by a Druidical stone, and near the remains of two Druidical circles; and on the NW, accessible at low-water, are Pernagie Isle, Plumb Island, and the Lion Eock.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL13
Post TownLooe