St Kew, Cornwall
Kew, St, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands on the river Amble, 4½ miles NNE of Wadebridge station on the G.W.R., and bears the name of St Kew, Churchtown. It has a post office under Wadebridge; money order and telegraph office, Port Isaac. Acreage, 7550; population, 1043. The manor was known at Domesday as Lan-guit. Trewane was the seat of the Nichollses, and is now a farmhouse. Tliere are several barrows and beacons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value,, £300 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1883, has old painted glass illustrative of the lives of Christ and Jesse, and contains monuments of the Webbers. There are Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bodmin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Kew from the following:
Online maps of St Kew are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.