St Just in Roseland, Cornwall
Just-in-Roseland, St, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands on St Just Creek, on the E side of Falmouth harbour, 3½ miles by water NE of Falmouth station on the G.W.R., and 7 SSE of Truro, and has a post office, of the name of St Just Lane, under Falmouth; money order and telegraph office, St Mawes. The parish contains also the town and castle of St Mawes. Acreage, 2650 of land and 197 of water and foreshore; population, 1178. Part of the land belonged to St Anthony's Priory. St Just Creek has, at its mouth, the old Lazaretto station of Falmouth harbour, and includes St Just's Pool, where vessels used to perform quarantine. Traces of an old circular fort are on Bartini Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro, with the chapelry of St Mawes annexed; value, £500 with residence. The church is a very old building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and was restored in 1872. The churchyard has two lych gates. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels. Ruins of an ancient chapel are at Rosecassa.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Truro|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms dates from the year 1540; marriages and burials, 1538.
Church of England
St. Just (parish church)
The church of St. Just, dedicated August 14th, 1261, and situated in a deep valley close to the water's edge, is an ancient building of stone, with granite facings and columns, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with aisle of two bays, nave of five bays, south aisle, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 3 bells, the first two dating from 1849; the tenor, originally hung 1684, was recast in 1904, and a clock and chimes placed in the tower as a memorial to Christopher Henry Thomas Hawkins. The beams of the roof are illuminated with appropriate Scripture texts, carved by the late Rev. C. W. Carlyon, and the bosses at the intersections bear the emblazoned shields of the local landowners. The church retains a double piscina; the east window was filled with stained glass in 1911 in memory of George Allen esq. whose son erected the west window: in the south aisle is a memorial window to Lieut. W. James R.N. d. 1846, and in the chancel is another to the Rev. Hubert Edward Carlyon B.A.. rector here 1888-93: a brass effigy of a priest vested, c.1520, for many years preserved in the vestry, has since 1872 been affixed to the wall: there is a memorial to Mary (Frind), wife of Joshua Thomas, of Nanshutell, gent. and many others of modern date: the church was thoroughly restored in 1872, and has 350 sittings: the churchyard has two lych gates.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Just in Roseland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Just, St., in Roseland)
Online maps of St Just in Roseland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.