St Issey, Cornwall
Issey, St, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands near the estuary of the Camel, 4 miles SSE of Padstow; and 4 from Wadebridge station on the G.W.R., and has a post office, designated St Issey; money order and telegraph office, Padstow. Acreage, 4499 of land and 194 of water and foreshore', population, 557. Halwyn House, the foundations of which are scarcely traceable, was a seat of the Champemownes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Tmro; value, £220 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Truro. The church was entirely rebuilt in 1871, and is a stone building in the Gothic style. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Columb Major|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at St Issey 1596-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Issey from the following:
Online maps of St Issey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.