St Hilary, Cornwall

Historical Description

Hilary, St, a parish in Cornwall, near Mount's Bay, 3 miles E by 6 of Marazion Road station on the G.W.R, and 5 E by N of Penzance. It adjoins the extra-parochial tract of St Michael's Mount, and includes the town of Marazion. It has a post office under Marazion; money order and telegraph office, Marazion. Acreage, 2923; population of the civil parish, 956; of the ecclesiastical, 2298. Granite and slate are the chief rocks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; gross value, £360 with residence. The church stands on high ground, forms a conspicuous landmark, and contains monuments of the Godolphins and others. The perpetual curacy of Marazion is a separate benefice. There are several dissenting chapels. Palmer the Nonconformist and Hitchins the astronomer were vicars.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Hundred Penwith
Poor Law union Penzance

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for St Hilary from the following:


Maps

Online maps of St Hilary are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTR20
Post TownPenzance