St Gluvias, Cornwall
Gluvias, St, a parish in Cornwall. The church stands near the upper end of a branch of Falmouth harbour, one-fourth of a mile E by N of Penryn town, and 1 mile from Penryn railway station, appears to have been an endowed church before the Conquest, and figures in Domesday book. The parish includes most of the town of Penryn. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Penryn. Acreage, 2549; population of the civil parish, 991; of the ecclesiastical; 4247. The rocks include granite and felspar, and yield oxide of iron. Enys has belonged to the family of Enys since the time of Edward½ I., and is famed for its fine gardens. Bohelland or Bailland Barn, about half a mile N of the church, was the scene of the murder which formed the plot of Lillo's play, called "the Penryn Tragedy," a title changed by Ooleman into " Fatal Curiosity.'' Roscrow was the sent of the Pendarves family. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Bndock and the chapelry of Penryn, in the diocese of Truro; value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church is large and handsome, and contains monuments of the Pendarves family. It was thoroughly restored in 1883. A collegiate church i anciently stood at Glaseney, but has disappeared. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and others.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||St. Gluvias St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Falmouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at St Gluvias 1599-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.
The register dates from the end of the 16th century.
Church of England
St. Gluvias (parish church)
The church of St. Gluvias, standing on the border of the estuary of Falmouth harbour, is an edifice of stone, and, with the exception of the tower, was altered in the last century in a Modern Classic style: it consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower, with turret, containing 6 bells, all cast in 1808: there are monumental tablets to the families of Pendarves and Roskrow, 1643-83; Enys, 1697-1857; memorials to John Grills, merchant, ob. 1673; Henry Carverth, ob. 1684, and others of the 17th century; and in the south aisle a brass with effigies and inscription to Thomas Kyllygrewe, gent. circa 1484, and Joan and Elizabeth, his wives; there are also a number of monuments of modern date: the church was thoroughly restored in 1883 at a cost of £3,900, and is now chief1y in the Perpendicular style; the galleries have been removed, the interior entirely reseated, a new roof fixed, and the bells re-hung; the chancel was also rebuilt, the tower thoroughly repaired, and new buttresses and porch erected on the south side of the church: in 1912 a side chapel was formed in the south-east end of the church: in 1913 the vestry was enlarged by Miss Enys in memory of her brothers, Francis Gilbert and John Davies Enys: the stained east window is a memorial to Louisa, wife of the late Archdeacon Phillpotts, the west window to the late Major F. O. Griffin R.A. and the window in the south-east aisle is to the Rev. Canon Vawdrey, vicar 1889-1909: the organ was rebuilt in 1891, at the sole cost of Mrs. Enys: in 1890 a memorial was erected in the church to the Venerable W. J. Phillpotts M.A. archdeacon of Cornwall and vicar of the parish with S. Budock, 1845-89; this consists of an elaborate embellishment of the eastern wall of the chancel in opus sectile or opaque glass mosaic work, the whole of the space above and around ths eastern window being divided for this purpose into traceried panels; above the window is the figure of Our Lord seated in glory with angels holding trumpets, and on each side of the window are full-length figures of the four greater prophets and the four evangelists bearing scrolls with their names; the whole, designed by the late J. P. St. Aubyn esq. and executed by Messrs. Powell, together with the accompanying tablet, cost over £200: the side light in the chancel was filled with coloured glass as a memorial by children of the late archdeacon: there are sittings for 700 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Gluvias from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gluvias, St. (St. Mary Magdalene))
Online maps of St Gluvias are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.