St Gennys, Cornwall
Gennys, St, a parish in Cornwall, on the coast of the Bristol Channel, 10 miles NNE of Camelford, and 16 NW of Launceston station on the G.W.R. Post town, Stratton; money order and telegraph office, Boscastle. Acreage, 6067; population,. 430. The surface is diversified by pleasant vale and bold hills. The rocks include slate and copper ore. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £100 with residence. Patron, the Earl of St Germans The church is ancient, but good, and was restored in 1871. There are Methodist and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||St. Gennys St. German|
|Poor Law union||Stratton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Gennys from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gennys, St. (St. German))
Online maps of St Gennys are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.