St Ewe, Cornwall

Historical Description

Ewe, St, a village and a parish in Cornwall, near the coast, 5 miles S by W of St Austell town and station on the G.W.R. The parish includes the large hamlets of Polgorth and Lower Sticker, also the small hamlets of Polmassick, Kestle, Heligan Mill, and Pengrugla. The post town is Mevagissey, under St Austell. Acreage, 5963; population, 999. Heligan is the seat of the Tremaynes, and Treganon was the seat of the Treadinghams. The rocks include slate, copper, and tin ores. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £473. The church is ancient but good, and has a handsome carved oak screen and monuments of the Mohuns, the last of that ancient race, and of others. It was restored in 1881. There are three Bible Christian chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Hundred Powder
Poor Law union St. Austell

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at St Ewe 1560-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.

The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1560; of births from 1653, and of burials from 1559.


Churches

Church of England

All Saints, St. Ewe, or St. Tues (parish church)

The church of All Saints, or St. Ewe, or St. Tues, is an ancient building of Pentewan stone in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north transept, or Tregonan aisle, north and south porches, and a tower of two stages, with spire, and containing 3 bells, two dated 1684, and the tenor 1826: there are monuments to the Mohun, Seymour and Scobell families, and to John Williams Hope esq. late of Amsterdam in this county: the east window is a memorial to Frederick Stephens esq. of Hembal, erected by his widow; and in the south aisle are memorial windows to Harriet, wife of Francis Hicks esq. late of Plymouth, and to Perys Edmund Tremayne, of Heligan, inserted by his parents: the north-east window in the chancel is a memorial to the Rev. Thomas John Trevenen, 28 years rector of the parish, who died in 1864, erected by his surviving children: the church was restored in 1881 at a cost of upwards of £2,000: the original rood screen, a very fine specimen of Decorated Gothic work, and elaborately carved, has been restored by Harry Hems, of Exeter, and replaced on its ancient site: there are 300 sittings: in 1887 the churchyard was enlarged by the addition of a quarter of an acre of ground fenced in by a wall, at a cost of £65, given by the landowners.

Church of All Saints or St. EweNave of the Church of All Saints or St. Ewe


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for St Ewe from the following:


Maps

Online maps of St Ewe are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL26
Post TownSt. Austell