St Eval, Cornwall

Historical Description

Eval, St, a parish in Cornwall, on the coast, 4½ miles N by NW of St Columb Major, and 8 from St Columb Road station on the G.W.R. Post town, Stissey. Acreage, 2916; population, 245. Trethewell was the seat of the Nanfans. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £155. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church is a very ancient one, the north wall of the nave having a window of the Saxon period. The chancel was lengthened in 1324. In the 16th century the church was restored and enlarged by the addition of a S aisle. The old tower fell in 1700, and was rebuilt in 1727, the British merchants contributing liberally towards the restoration, it being a valuable landmark ' to mariners. There is a dissenting chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish St. Eval St. Eval
Hundred Pyder
Poor Law union St. Columb Major

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for St Eval from the following:


Maps

Online maps of St Eval are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL27
Post TownWadebridge