St Dominick, Cornwall
Dominick, St, a parish in Cornwall, on the river Tamar, at the boundary with Devonshire, 3 miles SE of Callington, and 8 N by W of Snitash station on the G.W.R. It has a post and telegraph office under St Mellion (R.S.O.); money order office, Callington. Acreage, 3180; population, 781. Halton here was the birthplace of Rons, the friend of Cromwell. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £400. The church is a plain stone building in the Perpendicular style, and has 270 sittings. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels. Dupath Well or baptistery is in this parish; it is a small rectangular structure of granite, and has been carefully restored by Lady Ashburton. A cattle fair is held on the first Thursday after 12 May.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Liskeard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
We have transcribed the following census returns for St. Dominick:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Dominick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dominick, St.)
Online maps of St Dominick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.