St Dennis, Cornwall
Dennis, St, or St Deny's, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands about 3 miles from St Columb Road station on the G.W.R., and has a post and telegraph office under Austell; money order office, Nanpean. The parish comprises 3240 acres; population, 1302. The rocks include tin and porcelain clay, and are mined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £135. The church stands on a hill. There are United Free Methodist and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dennis St.|
|Poor Law union||St. Austell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Dennis from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dennis (St.))
Online maps of St Dennis are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.