St Clement, Cornwall
Clement, St, a parish in Cornwall. The parish lies on the Tresilian Creek, a branch of the Fal estuary, 2½ miles SE of Truro station on the G.W.R., and contains the workhouse for the Powder Union. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Truro. Population of the civil parish, which includes St Paul, Truro, 3983; of the ecclesiastical, 825. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro: value, £202. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church includes a transept of the 13th century, and is good. A very ancient inscribed cross at " Church Town" is perhap.s the finest in Cornwall, and is known as the " Ignioc " stone. There are two mission churches. There are several fine seats in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clement's St.|
|Poor Law union||Truro|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Clement from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clement's (St.)
Online maps of St Clement are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.