St Breward, Cornwall

Historical Description

Breward, St, or Simonward, a parish in Cornwall, on the river Lank, under Brown Willey Mountain, 7 miles N by E of Bodmin station on the G.W.R., 5½ from Camelford station on the L. & S.W.R. and 8 N by W of Bodmin Road station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bodmin. Acreage, 9435; population, 779. The surface is prevailingly moorish, upland, and rugged, but encloses fine scenes, and commands fine prospects. Brown Willey and Rough Tor Mountains figure conspicuously in the landscape. Hanter-Gantick, 1 mile S of the church town, is a deep romantic valley, sometimes called the Cornish Valley of Rocks. The stone for the Eddystone Lighthouse and Tower Bridge was quarried at the Eddystone quarries in the parish. Tin, copper, and china clay are also worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £230. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Truro. The church is partly Norman in style, and in fair condition.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish St. Breward St. Bruard
Hundred Trigg
Poor Law union Camelford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for St Breward from the following:


Maps

Online maps of St Breward are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL30
Post TownBodmin