St Anthony in Roseland, Cornwall
Anthony-in-Roseland, St, a parish in Cornwall, on the English Channel and the E side of Falmouth Harbour, 3 miles E of Falmouth, and 14 S of Truro station on the G.W.R. Post town, Grampound Road; money order and telegraph office, Porthscatho. Acreage, 753 of land and 102 of water; population, 153. St Anthony's Head projects into the sea at the mouth of Falmouth Harbour, and is crowned by a lighthouse, showing a light visible at the distance of 12 miles. The Old Wall rock, with 26 feet of water, lies off the headland. A bed of shell, 30 feet above high-water mark, occurs at Forth. Place House adjoins the church, and occupies the site of an Augustinian priory, which was founded in 1124, by Warlewast, Bishop of Exeter, and was a cell to Plympton. The living is a donative in the diocese of Truro. The church is a beautiful small structure in Early English, with a Norman doorway, has been restored, and contains a monument, by Westmacott, to Admiral Sir Richard Spry. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||St. Anthony in Roseland|
|Poor Law union||Truro|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Anthony in Roseland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Anthony (St. in Roseland))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.