St Allen, Cornwall
Allen, St, a parish in Cornwall, on the Allen rivulet, 4½ miles N by W of Truro station on the G.W.R. Post town, Truro, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Newlyn East. Acreage, 3506; population, 468. Many of the inhabitants are miners. An old edifice, now a farmhouse, was the seat of the Bevills. An ancient camp, with triple ditch, occurs at Gwaraike. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; net value, £174. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church is good. The township of Zelah is about 2 miles from St Allen, on the main road to Truro; it consists of a straggling village extending a distance of 1½ mile. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels here, and a mission church was erected in 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||St. Allen St. Alleyn|
|Poor Law union||Truro|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Allen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Allen, St. (St. Alleyn))
Online maps of St Allen are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.