St Agnes (Scilly Isles), Cornwall

Historical Description

Agnes, St, one of the Scilly Islands, near the southern extremity of the group, separated on the NE from St Mary's by St Mary's Sound. It consists of two parts, St Agnes proper and the Gugh, divided from each other by high water of spring tides. The former measures about 1 mile by ½, the latter about ¾ of a mile by ½. Much of the land is fertile and well cultivated. Acreage, 447; population, 130. St Agnes proper displays some interesting features, contains a church, and is crowned by a lighthouse, 72 feet high. The Gugh has a curious rock pillar, 9 feet long, and several stone-covered barrows.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.