South Petherwin, Cornwall

Historical Description

Petherwin, South, a parish, with a village, in Cornwall, 2¼ miles SW of Launceston station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Launceston. Acreage, 5075; population of the civil parish, 815; of the ecclesiastical, with Trewen, 3649. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. Trebursey belonged formerly to the Gedyes, the Eliots, and the Howells, and belongs now to the Gurney family. Tresmarrow belonged to the Vyvyans, and is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Trewen, in the diocese of Truro; net value, £150 with residence. Patron, the University of Oxford. The church is Early English, with Norman remains, and has been restored. It stands on a hill, is good, and contains some old monuments. There is also a church at Trewen, which is distant from South Petherwin Church about 4½ miles. There are Wesleyan and Bible-Christian chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish South Petherwin St. Paternus
Hundred East
Poor Law union Launceston

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for South Petherwin from the following:


Maps

Online maps of South Petherwin are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL15
Post TownLaunceston