Sheviock, a parish, with Sheviock village and Crafthole hamlet, in Cornwall, on the coast, 3 miles SE of St. Germans station on the G.W.R. Post town, St. Germans. Acreage, 2435; population, 493. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Trethill was the seat of the navigator Wallis. A pier is at Wrinkle Cove, and pilchard fishing is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; net value, £300 with residence. The church, of 13th century date, in the Middle Pointed style, has been restored and embellished. The building contains some handsome and interesting monuments. In the churchyard there is a handsome granite cross. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Crafthole.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sheviock St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||St. Germans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sheviock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sheviock (St. Mary))
Online maps of Sheviock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.