Rame, a parish in Cornwall, on the coast, 5 miles SW by S of Plymouth station on the G.W.R. Post town, Plymouth; money order office, Cawsand; telegraph office, Millbrook, Cornwall. Acreage, 1271; population, 865. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. Rame Head projects into the English Channel from Maker Heights; terminates a semicircular range of cliffs coming eastward from Looe; is the nearest land to Eddystone Lighthouse; commands a view of the Cornish coast almost to the Lizard; is crowned with the ruin of a chapel; and is the Kriou Metopon or Ram's Head of Ptolemy. Penlee Point, 2 miles E by N of that headland, flanks the W end of the entrance of Plymouth Sound, is crowned by a beacon, and is strongly fortified. South of the parish is Polhawn Battery, a strong fortress commanding Whitesand Bay. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; net value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Mount Edgecumbe. The church, which dates from the 13th century, has been well restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rame St. German|
|Poor Law union||St. Germans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rame from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Rame (St. German))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.