Quethiock, Cornwall

Historical Description

Quethiock, a parish in Cornwall, on the rivers Lynher and Tidy, 2½ miles NE of Menheniot station on the G.W.R., and 4 E of Liskeard. It has a post office under Liskeard; money order and telegraph office, Liskeard. Acreage, 4562; population, 445. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Stone and slate are quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £240 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church is ancient, has a tower, and contains a curious brass of 1462 and other brasses. In the churchyard there is one of the finest of the ancient British crosses of the type peculiar to this county. There are two Wesleyan chapels. A cattle lair is held on the last Monday in January.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Quethiock St. Hugh
Hundred East
Poor Law union St. Germans

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Quethiock from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Quethiock are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL14
Post TownLiskeard