Poundstock, Cornwall

Historical Description

Poundstock, a village and a parish in Cornwall, The village stands ly mile W of Widemouth Bay, 5½ SSW of Stratton, and 12½ NW of Launceston station on the G.W.R.; was known at Domesday as Poupestock. There is a post office under Stratton; money order and telegraph office, Stratton. Acreage of parish, 4799; population, 496. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged anciently to the Earl of Mortaigne. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £140 with residence. The church is ancient but good, and has a lofty tower. There are Methodist and Bible Christian chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Poundstock St. Neot
Hundred Lesnewth
Poor Law union Stratton

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Poundstock from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Poundstock are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtEX23
Post TownBude