Portreath, a seaport village in Illogan parish, Cornwall, on a pretty cove, 4 miles NW by W of Redruth. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Redruth; has also a harbour, formed in 1760 by the Bassets of Tehidy, and protected by batteries on the adjacent heights; exports copper ore to Swansea, and ranks as a chapelry, united to Illogan. It has a chapel of ease, and also Wesleyan and Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Redruth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Portreath from the following:
Online maps of Portreath are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.