Port Isaac, Cornwall

Historical Description

Port Isaac, a seaport fishing village and health resort, famed for its famous cliff scenery, in Endellion parish, Cornwall, on a bay of its own name, 6¼ miles NE of Padstow, and 3 NW of Port Isaac Road station on the North Cornwall branch of the L. & S.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Wadebridge. Population, 1000. The bay is an open sweep, extending about 6 miles, from Varle Point on the NW to Tintagel Head on the NE. The church is built of local stone and granite in the Early English style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Civil parish Endellion
Hundred Trigg
Poor Law union Bodmin

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Port Isaac from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Port Isaac are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL29
Post TownPort Isaac