Polperro, Cornwall

Historical Description

Polperro, a small town in Llansalloes and Talland parishes, Cornwall, on the coast, 6 miles E of Fowey, and 4 from Looe station on the Liskeard and Looe railway. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office; is an ancient place; was described by Leland as a " fishar towne with a peere;" occupies a romantic site on the rocky shore and ledges of an inlet embraced by a ravine; gives the name of " Polperro sponges " to the fossils formerly known as Cornish ichthyolites; is surrounded by rock formations of great interest to geologists; carries on a pilchard fishery and some coasting trade; and has a small harbour, a public hall, and three chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Civil parish Lansalloes
Hundred West
Poor Law union Liskeard

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Polperro from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Polperro are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL13
Post TownLooe