Pillaton, a parish in Cornwall, on the river Lynher, 6 miles NNE of St Germans station on the G.W.R. It has a fair on Whit-Tuesday, and its post town is St Mellion, Cornwall. Acreage, 2407; population, 416. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. The manor was known at Domesday as Pileton; was held by the Earl of Mortaigne, and passed to the Inkpens, the Dillingtons, the Corytons, and others. Pentillie Castle is a seat in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; net value, £170 with residence. The church is modern, was restored in 1878, and has an embattled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Germans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pillaton from the following:
Online maps of Pillaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.