Pentewan or Pentowan, Cornwall

Historical Description

Pentewan or Pentowan, a seaport village in St Austell parish, Cornwall, 4 miles S by E of St Austell station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under St Austell, and a harbour; it was formerly noted for its stream works; and it gives name to an excellent building-stone quarried in a fine-grained elvan. The property around it belonged formerly to the Pentires, the Darts, the Robertses, the Tremaynes, and others, and now belongs to the Hawkinses. A line of railway, 4 miles long, extending to St Austell, was constructed from the port to the large clayworks in the district. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels, and a mission church to the parish church of St Austell.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.