Penponds, a chapelry, with a village, in Camborne parish, Cornwall, 1 mile from Camborne station on the G.W.R., and 4 miles WSW of Camborne. It was constituted in 1849, and its post town is Camborne. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 1686. Penponds Bottom is crossed by a viaduct of the railway, and presents a pretty scene. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is modern, and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Redruth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Penponds from the following:
Online maps of Penponds are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.