Otterham, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands on the rivulet Attery, 6½ miles NNE of Camelford, and 11½ WNW of Launceston station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. Post town, Camelford; money order and telegraph office, Boscastle. Acreage of parish, 3296; population, 154. The manor belonged anciently to the Earl of Mortaigne; passed to the Champernownes, the Coplestons, and others; and belongs now to the Owens. There are several barrows. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; net value, £144 with residence. The church was entirely rebuilt in 1890.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Otterham St. Denis|
|Poor Law union||Camelford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Otterham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Otterham (St. Denis))
Online maps of Otterham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.