Northill or North Hill, Cornwall
Northill or North Hill, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands near the river Lynher, 7 miles SW by S of Launceston station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Launceston; telegraph office, Launceston. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bathpool, Coads Green, Congdon Shop, Illand, and Trebartha, and extends northward to the river Inny. Acreage, 7260; population, 971. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. Trebartha Hall is a chief residence, belonged once to the Spoures and the Trebarthas, and belongs now to the Rodd family. King Arthur's Bed is a rock-basin on Trewortha Tor. Good building stone abounds; at one time granite was extensively worked and exported; and manganese has been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; commuted value, £538 with residence. The church is an ancient and good granite structure, has a groined porch and a lofty pinnacled tower, and contains monuments to the Vincents, the Spoures, and the Rodds. Chapels of ease were formerly at Trebartha and Landreyne. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North-Hill St. Torney|
|Poor Law union||Launceston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Northill or North Hill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (North-Hill (St. Torney))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.