Newport, a quondam borough in St Stephen-by-Launceston parish, Cornwall, on a branch of the river Tamar, adjacent to Launceston, and separated from that town only by a narrow rivulet. It anciently was joined to Launceston, under the name of Dunhevd. It separately sent two members to Parliament from the time of Edward VI. till the passing of the act of 1832, and it then was disenfranchised and incorporated with Launceston. It is a small place, and but for connection with Launceston would be a mere village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Launceston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newport from the following:
Online maps of Newport are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.