Newlyn or East Newlyn, Cornwall

Historical Description

Newlyn or East Newlyn, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands on elevated ground, under Newlyn Down, 7½ miles SW of St Columb Major, and 7 WNW of Grampound Road station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Grampound Road; telegraph office, Newquay. The parish contains also the ancient manor of Cargol and part of the disfranchised borough of Mitchell. Acreage, 8371; population, 1191. Cargol belonged to the Bodmin Priory, passed to the Bishops of Exeter, and had an episcopal palace. Trerice was the seat of Lord John Arundell, who defended Pendennis Castle when he was eighty years of age, and is now represented by only a fragment. Newlyn House belongs to the Ackland family, is an interesting ancient mansion, and has been restored. Treludra belonged to the Borlases. The surface is hilly and partly intersected by deep vales. The rocks include slate, limestone, and lead ore. East Huel Rose was one of the largest lead mines in Cornwall, and yielded about forty ounces of silver per ton of ore. There are several chalybeate springs. Several barrows are on the hills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £315. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church is ancient, cruciform, and spacious; has at various periods been much altered by repairs and reconstructions; was thoroughly restored in 1883, has an embattled and pinnacled tower, and contains some old carvings and monuments of the Arundells. There are Wesleyan and Bryanite chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Newlyn St. Newlyn
Hundred Pyder
Poor Law union St. Columb Major

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newlyn or East Newlyn from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.