Mylor, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village of Mylor Bridge stands at the head of Mylor Creek, 2¼ miles NE of Falmouth and of Penryn station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office, under Penryn. The parish contains also the village of Flushing, on Falmouth Harbour proper, directly opposite Falmouth; and part of Perran Wharf. It comprises an area of 3599 acres of land and 1339 of water and foreshore; population of civil parish, 2238; of the ecclesiastical, 1255. It has a parish council consisting of thirteen members. Trefosis House belonged formerly to the Trefusis family, and belongs now to its representative Lord Clinton. Carclew belonged formerly to the Bonithons, and is now the seat of the Tremayne family. Trevissome and Great Wood are fine residences. Trefusis Point separates two divisions of Falmouth Harbour, is crowned with trees embosoming Trefusis House, and presents a fine appearance as seen from Falmouth. The transport ship Queen, laden with invalids from the Spanish peninsula, was wrecked on this point in 1814, when so many as 195 persons perished, and the bodies of 136 were buried in the churchyard of Mylor. Mylor Creek strikes west-north-westward from the Carrick Road branch of Falmouth Harbour, divides the parish into two nearly equal portions, and has a winding outline extending very nearly to the woods of Enys. Mylor Pool, at the mouth of the creek, is a favourite anchorage for small vessels, and has a small dockyard and a range of storehouses belonging to the government. The surface of the parish is pleasantly diversified, the climate is remarkably mild and attracts many invalids, the indigenuous plants present a wide range, includins; many varieties of heaths; the rocks contain veins of tin and copper; and the shores are studded with marine villas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £186 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church is partly Norman, but chiefly of the time of Henry VI., has a sculptured Norman N door, an empanelled pillared S porch, and a separate ivy-clad bell-tower, and contains monuments of the Bonithon and Trefusis families, and a mosaic reredos by Salviati. The churchyard contains two fine yew trees, and its wall is washed by the sea. The vicarage of Flushing is a separate benefice. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Bible Christian chapels. A reading-room, with library, was opened at Mylor Bridge in 1880. Lord Clinton is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mylor St. Melor|
|Poor Law union||Falmouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1673.
Church of England
St. Mylor (parish church)
The church of St. Mylor, or Melorus, originally Norman, and dedicated in 1308, is a building of stone in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north and south transepts, south porch, and an embattled turret on the western gable: at some distance from the church stands a detached belfry containing 4 bells, recast in 1888 as a memorial to the late Rev. J. W. Murray, a vicar 1868-1874, the original dates (1637 and 1634) being repeated; the old bell of Trefusis church, dated 1767, has also been presented to this church by Lord Clinton: in the church are memorials to the Trefusis family from 1615 to 1832, and these include a monument with an effigy: there are other memorials to the families of Bonython (1697-1728), Lemon (1728-1868) and Yescombe (1803-26), besides various tablets and inscribed stones: the chancel has a mosaic reredos, by Salviati, and there are remains of a richly-carved chancel screen: the pulpit is also all elaborate work, and in 1892 a brass lectern was presented by Mrs. Olivey, of Tregew, in memory of her husband: an ancient piscina, discovered in removing the foundations of the old vicarage house, has been placed on the south side of the sanctuary: the font and north and west doorways are Norman: there are 400 sittings. The ancient churchyard cross, discovered during the restoration, has been re-erected near the south porch; it is a monolith of grey granite, 17 feet 6 inches long, with a four-holed Greek cross at the head, and, as now set up, stands about 11 feet above ground. There are two yew trees in the churchyard, one of which covers a space more than 90 feet in diameter, and is said to have been planted about 400 years ago. In 1871 the Government granted a piece of land for the extension of the burial ground and for the making of a new road round the east side of the church.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mylor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Mylor (St. Melor))
Online maps of Mylor are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.