Michaelstow, a parish in Cornwall, on the river Camel, 3½ miles SSW of Camelford, and 10 N by W of Bodmin Road station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. It contains the hamlet of Treveighan, and its post town is Camelford. Acreage, 1635; population, 255. An ancient quadrangular entrenchment is on Michaelstow Beacon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is a stone structure with a tower, has been restored, and contains monuments of the Lowers. There are Wesleyan, Bible Christian, and United Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Michaelstow St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Camelford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Michaelstow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Michaelstow (St. Michael))
Online maps of Michaelstow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.