Merther, a parish in Cornwall, on St Clement's Creek, a tributary of the Fal river, 6 miles E by S of Truro station on the G.W.R. Post town, Probus. Acreage, 1804; population, 223. The manor and most of the land belong to Viscount Falmouth. Tresawsan, now a farmhouse, was formerly the seat of the Hals family, and was inhabited by William Hals, author of the " Parochial History of Cornwall." Tresilian Bridge spans St Clement's Creek near the boundary with Probus parish, and a commerce up to that point is carried on in coal, lime, and timber. The entrance lodge of Tregothnan, the seat of Viscount Falmouth, adjoins the bridge, though the mansion is 4 miles distant. Here was the place where the royal army surrendered to Fairfax in 1646. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £50. Patron, the Vicar of Probus. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower surmounted by a wooden bell-turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a mission church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Merther St. Merther|
|Poor Law union||Truro|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Merther from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Merther (St. Merther))
Online maps of Merther are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.