Lezant, a parish in Cornwall, between the rivers Inny and Tamar, 5 miles S of Launceston station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. It contains the villages of Trebollet, Trekenna, and Rezare, and the hamlet of Trewarlet. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Launceston. Acreage, 4841; population, 680. Landew, formerly the seat of the Herles, is a chief residence. Trecarrell, now an ivied ruin, was a mansion partly built by Sir John Trecarrell but never finished. A lead mine is near Landew. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £328 with residence. The church is ancient, has a pinnacled tower, and contains monuments of the Herles, the Trecarrells, and the Trefusises. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lezant St. Breock|
|Poor Law union||Launceston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lezant from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lezant (St. Breock))
Online maps of Lezant are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.