Lesnewth, a parish in Cornwall. It lies 4½ miles N by E of Camelford, and 14 W by N of Launceston stations on the G.W.R. and the L. & S.W.R. The hundred of Lesnewth, in which it is situated, takes its name from the parish. The post town is Boscastle. Area, 2028 acres; population, 90. The manor belongs to Lord Churston. The surface ia hilly. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; net value, £162 with residence. Patron, Lord Churston. The church is ancient, but was almost entirely rebuilt in 1865; comprises nave, vestry, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a piscina and an ancient font. The E window and tower are the only remains of the old church in situ. There are a Norman pillar and window, bat they occupied different positions in the old church. There is a dissenting chapel, and there are several barrows in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lesnewth St. Knet|
|Poor Law union||Camelford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lesnewth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lesnewth (St. Knet))
Online maps of Lesnewth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.