Lawhitton, Cornwall

Historical Description

Lawhitton, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands near the river Tamar, which divides Cornwall from Devonshire, 3 miles SE of the Launceston stations on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. It was once a market-town, and has a post office under Lannceston; money order and telegraph office, Lannceston. Acreage, 2648; population, 361. A palace of the bishops of Exeter was here, but has disappeared. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £330 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There is a parish council for that portion of the parish which lies outside the municipal borough of Launceston.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Lawhitton St. Michael
Hundred East
Poor Law union Launceston

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lawhitton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Lawhitton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL15
Post TownLaunceston